Celebrate the Life and Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in University Circle
Posted January 11, 2023 in Press Releases
Museums and institutions in University Circle will offer special programs, activities and free admission in honor of Dr. King beginning Sunday, Jan. 15 and running throughout the week.
University Circle Inc. (UCI) is hosting special open skate hours at The Rink at Wade Oval on Monday, Jan. 16 between noon and 5:00 p.m. with free admission and low-cost skate rentals.The Rink is proudly sponsored by PNC Bank.
The following museums are offering free admission and special programming on Monday, Jan. 16:
- Cleveland History Center - Learn about the heroes of the past and see how their lives have continued to shape our future.
- Cleveland Museum of Natural History - Connect with Museum scientists, watch wildlife presentations, take part in hands-on activities and more during their Discovery Day celebration.
- Cleveland Botanical Garden – CBG will be focusing on The National Day of Service with other drop-in programs throughout the day.
- The Cleveland Museum of Art – Join CMA for storytelling, art making and reflective writing prompts for their theme “It Starts with Me: Cultivating a Beloved Community Mindset to Transform Unjust Systems.’
On Sunday, Jan. 15, the following University Circle institutions will perform special concerts in celebration of Dr. King:
- The Cleveland Orchestra - The program includes music by Black composers Florence Price and William L. Dawson, among several others, as well as Aaron Copland’s tribute to the 16th President of the United States, A Lincoln Portrait, marking 80 years since its premier. The concert concludes with the uplifting and powerful hymn, “Lift Every Voice and Sing.” The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 2023 Community Service Awards will also be presented.
- The Music Settlement – The memorial concert will celebrate the life and mission of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. through music and the written word.
Case Western Reserve University will host its 2023 Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation on Friday, Jan. 20 with author Nic Stone as the headliner.
For more information about events and programming happening in University Circle, visit www.universitycircle.org/MLKBack to News