• Location
  • Call
  • Favorites
  • Cart

High school students learn about Underground Railroad at University Circle's Cozad-Bates House

Posted February 24, 2021 in Articles

Author: Lindsay Buckingham

The Cozad-Bates House was built for Justus Cozad by his father Andrew. It was first built in 1853, but additions were added in the 1860s and 1972.

The Cozad family settled in Northeast Ohio in the early 19th century, living along a road that's now known as Euclid Avenue. Along with other families in the area, the Cozads provided aid to freedom seekers. The Cleveland code word in the underground railroad was "hope."

Read the full article and watch the story on wkyc.com.

Back to News

Signup Be the first to know about special events, openings, news and more!