University Circle is one of the largest employment drivers in the state of Ohio. With strong anchor institutions and an abundance of arts & cultural, non-profit, as well as private sector and small businesses, there may be an opportunity waiting for you here in University Circle.
Senior Major Gifts Officer
The Cleveland Orchestra (Severance Hall) / Posted November 17, 2020
The Cleveland Orchestra is seeking a Senior Major Gift Officer to engage prospects, donors, and other members of the community in philanthropic support of The Cleveland Orchestra. This individual will actively manage a donor portfolio, qualify new donors, make discovery calls, and build a pool of new prospects and past donors up to the 6-figure level. The Senior Major Gift Officer initiates gift strategies and cultivates and solicits prospects through personal visits, direct mail, written and phone communication. They also work closely with colleagues to implement strategic approaches to increase the donor base and build a robust pipeline for major gift support for the Orchestra.
Responsibilities include the following:
Portfolio and Program Management
- Manage high level donors (up to the 6-figure level).
- Manage a personal portfolio of not less than 125 donors.
- Articulate the value of supporting the goals and mission of the institution, as well as priority programs like the annual fund. Work closely with the Annual Fund Manager and Director of Individual Giving, as well as the Events team in executing stewardship efforts, engagement activities and special fundraising initiatives.
- Develop, direct and implement strategies to solicit leadership donors, subscribers, and community through personal visits, email, direct mail and telephone contact.
- Manage campaign related volunteer committees and their activities, including but not limited to community engagement through recruitment of new members as well as lead peer solicitation initiatives.
- Maintain data integrity of portfolio, including entering and updating prospect and donor contact reports, plans, screens, and proposals in the Tessitura database according to established protocols.
- Collect and gather data for reports and inquiries and maintain division tracking.
- Respond to inquiries and donor communications as part of the Major Gift Team.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field of study required
- Five to ten years of experience in non-profit fundraising in a complex institution
- Strong knowledge and application of cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies and techniques required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Ability to be discreet and maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Demonstrated independent, mature judgment
- Ability to consistently maintain a professional image and demeanor
- Strong problem-solving skills combined with a collaborative approach
- Ability to successfully prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Knowledge of orchestral music is helpful
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and ability to learn and use various database and planning software
- Must be able to travel between locations (Severance Hall and Blossom Music Center), as well as to local or regional meetings; some national or international travel may be required.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings, weekends, and some holidays
- Campaign experience preferred
- Interest in classical music or the arts an asset
We offer a competitive salary, generous medical and dental plan benefits, 403(b) plan with employer match, a remote/on-site work mix, complimentary concert tickets, and the opportunity to work with a world-renowned Orchestra. Interested candidates should apply on our website at https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/contact/auditions-careers/careers/
We Are An Equal Opportunity EmployerBack to Jobs