• Location
  • Call
  • Favorites
  • Cart

Cleveland Museum of Art is picking up the pace on exhibitions, programs in final years of expansion

Posted February 26, 2012 in Articles

Author: Steven Litt, Plain Dealer Reporter

The Cleveland Museum of Art’s eight-year, $350 million expansion and renovation won’t be finished until the end of 2013, but a lot’s going to happen between now and then.
The exhibition schedule is about to get busier, and in October, the museum will open the vast central atrium that will serve as the heart of its expanded complex, along with a new restaurant, cafe and museum store. Two months later, the museum will unveil new permanent-collection galleries devoted to Renaissance art and a new gallery devoted to education - the Lifelong Learning Center.
“The museum basically will feel like a very different place,” said C. Griffith Mann, the museum’s chief curator, who publicly described the next two years’ worth of programming for the first time in recent interviews. “The big story is that the museum is moving gradually and much more visibly toward a full campus.”
Getting there hasn’t been easy. The museum shut down completely for most of 2006 but reopened partially for special exhibitions in October of that year.

Original Article: http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2012/02/cleveland_museum_of_art_is_pic.html

Back to News

Never miss a thing.

Be the first to know about special events, openings, news and more!

Go
No, thanks. Don't ask me again.