In 1973 UCI's Community Education Department was established to connect the resources of University Circle’s world-class institutions to students of all ages and backgrounds through informal education programs. Today, the Community Education Department manages four respected programs – Early Learning Initiative, Linking Education and Discovery, Future Connections, and Senior Connections – that positively impact the lives of children and adults throughout the region.
To learn more about UCI's Community Education Department, contact us at 216-791-3900.
Did You Know? – Informal Learning Facts
- Takes place outside the formal classroom setting, i.e. in museums, concert halls, gardens, libraries, community centers, and through the media and web
- Less than 3% of our lives are spent in formal instruction
- Most learning occurs through informal or free-choice learning
- Lifelong process guided by a person's needs and interests
- Learners are engaged in real-world applications in a broad range of content
- May link to formal learning in a spontaneous way
- Settings advance learning by providing a physical contextual environment reflecting the content knowledge to be attained
- Supports discovery and free exploration
- Experiences can act as a catalyst and sustain long term interests in a field of study
- Encourages opportunities for Intergenerational learning